33 hours (2.5 days of field instruction + self-paced online learning) 550
The rec level 2 course is designed for backcountry recreationists with level 1 avalanche skills who want to go deeper with their snow and avalanche knowledge, as well as travel in more complex terrain. On this course, we spend time expanding student’s knowledge of the science of snow metamorphism, and apply this knowledge to have a better understanding of the season snowpack history and the nature of existing avalanche problems. We utilize the AAI Backcountry Avalanche Checklist as a system for sorting and prioritizing information in the field, setting a tone of teamwork, and minimizing human factor traps.
Forty percent of the course is online/classroom based and the other sixty percent is field based. We will travel in the backcountry, in and around avalanche terrain.
**THIS LEVEL 2 COURSE INCLUDES RESCUE FUNDAMENTALS**
This course will cover the following:
- Tracking the season snowpack history
- Characteristics of the different avalanche problems
- Weather history, avalanche problems, and stability assessment
- Formation of persistent weak layers – facets, depth hoar, surface hoar
- Wet snow metamorphism
- Avalanche terrain – large & small scale features
- Group management in challenging/complex terrain
- Stability tests – incorporating strength, structure and propagation potential
- Introduction to SWAG documentation
- Tour planning
- Use of the AAI Backcountry Avalanche Checklist as a field tool for sorting & prioritizing information
- Human factor traps and solutions
- Case studies with analysis using AAI Backcountry Avalanche Checklist
- Level 1 avalanche course
- Minimum of one season between the level 1 & level 2 used to apply the tools and strategies learned on a level 1.
- PLEASE NOTE: Rescue Fundamentals is included in this Recreational Level 2 course.
- Staying Alive in Avalanche Terrain, Bruce Tremper
- Snow, Weather and Avalanches: Observational Guidelines for Avalanche Programs in the United States (SWAG)
Still have questions? See our frequently asked questions section for details on gear, what’s provided on a course, and more.
|Level 2 Course||Jackson||WY||12/17-12/20||$ 550||Sign Up!|
|Level 2 Course||Salt Lake City||UT||12/17-12/20||$ 550||Sign Up!|
|Level 2 Course||Jackson||WY||01/15-01/18||$ 550||Sign Up!|
|Level 2 Course||Salt Lake City||UT||01/15-01/18||$ 550||Sign Up!|
|Level 2 Course||Bozeman||MT||01/15-01/18||$ 550||Sign Up!|
|Level 2 Course||Salt Lake City||UT||02/12-02/15||$ 550||Sign Up!|