11 hours - 1 evening & 1 day 200
AVALANCHE SKILLS ADVANCEMENT WORKSHOP
The goal of the Level 1 refresher course is to update skills and knowledge from Level 1 courses. This refresher is great preparation for a Level 2 course or Professional Level 1 course and is important if the Level 1 was taken three or more years ago. This course will attempt to answer questions that come up after applying Level 1 knowledge in the field. We will focus information sorting and decision-making around the AAI Backcountry Checklist. The evening session will be classroom based and the full day session will be field based, traveling in and around avalanche terrain.
This refresher will cover:
- Snow metamorphism review
- AAI Backcountry Checklist review
- Interpreting avalanche forecast bulletins
- Route planning
- Rescue scenarios and transceiver practice
- Review of stability tests
- Recognizing avalanche terrain, route selection & travel techniques
- Communication and group management in the backcountry
- Snow Sense, Jill Fredston & Doug Fesler
- Staying Alive in Avalanche Terrain, Bruce Tremper
- Avalanche Essentials, Bruce Tremper
There are no scheduled courses at this time.