The Avalanche Level 2 course is designed for backcountry recreationists with level 1 avalanche skills who want to go deeper with their snow and avalanche knowledge, as well as travel in more complex terrain. On this course, we spend time expanding student’s knowledge of the science of snow metamorphism, and apply this knowledge to have a better understanding of the season snowpack history and the nature of existing avalanche problems. We utilize the AAI Backcountry Avalanche Checklist as a system for sorting and prioritizing information in the field, setting a tone of teamwork, and minimizing human factor traps.
Forty percent of the course is online/classroom based and the other sixty percent is field based. We will travel in the backcountry, in and around avalanche terrain.
Still have questions? See our frequently asked questions section for details on gear, what’s provided on a course, and more.
All Upcoming Dates and Locations:
- December 16, 2023 - February 17, 2024 - Avalanche Level 2 - Jackson, Wyoming
- January 18, 2024 - January 20, 2024 - Avalanche Level 2 - Salt Lake City, Utah
- January 26, 2024 - January 28, 2024 - Avalanche Level 2 - Jackson, Wyoming
- February 15, 2024 - February 17, 2024 - Avalanche Level 2 - Salt Lake City, Utah
- February 23, 2024 - February 25, 2024 - Avalanche Level 2 - Bozeman, Montana
- March 7, 2024 - March 9, 2024 - Avalanche Level 2 - Salt Lake City, Utah
- March 15, 2024 - March 17, 2024 - Avalanche Level 2 - Jackson, Wyoming