Avalanche Level 1 Hybrid Courses in Salt Lake City, Utah.
We teach a complete program of curriculum established and developed by the American Avalanche Institute (AAI).
You can expect to develop a solid foundation of how to prepare for and carry out a backcountry trip, understanding basic decision making while in the field, and avalanche rescue techniques required to locate and dig up a buried person.
This course provides essential training for anyone traveling in or near avalanche terrain: snowboarders, ski tourers, snowmobilers, mountaineers, snowshoers, everyone! For aspiring professionals, this course fulfills a prerequisite for the AAI Pro 1 course down the line.
- Mandatory pre-course webinars take place on Monday (session A) and Wednesday (session B), 6:00 pm – 9:00 pm weekly November 20th through March (except Christmas week). Students must attend any session A and B prior to going into the field.
- An additional online meeting will take place the night before your course to coordinate logistics.
By completing this course with the American Avalanche Institute, you will receive a certificate of completion from AAI and join a network of tens of thousands of Level 1 avalanche training graduates.
For 50 years, the American Avalanche Institute has provided one the most successful professional and recreational avalanche training programs. At the recreational and professional levels, their courses and curricula are fully approved by the American Avalanche Association (A3). AAI’s guides, avalanche professionals, and educators create the best recreational and professional avalanche courses in the world.
We believe that avalanche training is best taught by combining theoretical concepts and experiential learning. Some topics are best learned in a classroom setting and others in the mountains, moving through terrain and digging into the snow. In this avalanche training course, you’ll have both.
The first portion of your hybrid course includes the AAI Avalanche Level 1 virtual workshops. These virtual workshops consists of two, 3-hour long hosted sessions, during these sessions you will watch presentations of core material followed by small group learning exercises, Q & A, and review/feedback. These sessions will be scheduled weekly and can be taken well in advance of your course for maximum convenience and engagement. Students must attend both session 1 & 2 PRIOR to the first day of your field session.
Avalanche 1 Virtual Workshop:
The AAI Avalanche Level 1 virtual workshop is a comprehensive 6 hour dive into the foundational concepts needed to safely and successfully navigate snow covered mountains. The virtual workshop is divided into two, 3 hour sessions, hosted by one or more AAI Qualified Instructors and consists of video presentations, small group exercises and Q&A sessions to get you ready for the 2 day field session.
Virtual Session 1 – Hosted every Monday from November to March 6:00 – 9:00 pm MST (except Christmas week)
Welcome, review itinerary
Virtual Session 2 – Hosted every Wednesday from November 20th to March 6:00 – 9:00 pm MST (except Christmas week)
Logistics Online Meeting – The night before your course, your instructor will hold an online meeting to coordinate on logistics of location and parking.
Field Day 1 – 8:00am – 4:30pm
- Course meets at predetermined location
- Morning avalanche, weather and safety briefing
- Introduction to trailhead rescue gear checks
- Introduction to AAI Backcountry Checklist
- Companion rescue practice – demonstrations, practice and observation/coaching
- Transition to instructor led tour and snowpack observations – introduction to snow pack tests
- Terrain tour (ATES) – how to identify avalanche terrain and safely navigate it
- Debrief observations in the field and return to trailhead
- Assign parameters for day 2 tour plan
Field Day 2 – 8:00am – 4:30pm
- Meet at trailhead
- AM Meeting – Backcountry Checklist (avalanches, snowpack, weather)
- Trailhead transceiver function check
- Student/Instructor-led tour: Terrain Identification, recording observations in field books, snowpack tests / observations, weather observations, review companion rescue
- Return to trailhead – Checklist debrief in small groups followed by large group discussion
- Course wrap up & next steps
Optional Learning Resources — All Season Long
- Virtual Sessions: Held every Monday and Wednesday prior to your field days. Links sent with confirmation emails.
- Pre-Course Zoom: Short zoom meeting to discuss logistics for field session, night before class. Links are sent out by the Course Leader.
- Field locations: Mountain range near Salt Lake City
All of our courses can be run as custom outings. If your group is interested in a custom avalanche training course, please call us at 720-387-8944.
Why Take a course with the American Avalanche Institute?
- The AAI curriculum was developed, refined and honed by working Professionals in some of the most avalanche prone mountain ranges of North America.
- Our Instructors are educators, not just minimally qualified instructors
- We spend the majority of the course in the mountains, not indoors
- We provide valuable pre-course material to help you prepare
- We provide bonus education opportunities to help you keep learning
- Our Instructors are career professionals, with decades of personal backcountry experience
- We have a full-time office staff of Avalanche Instructors to answer all of your questions
- Dozens of course dates to meet our guests scheduling needs
- Get avalanche training in the ski venue you ski in locally
All Upcoming Dates and Locations:
- December 16, 2023 - December 17, 2023 - Avalanche Level 1 – Salt Lake City, Utah - Salt Lake City, Utah
- December 21, 2023 - December 22, 2023 - Avalanche Level 1 – Salt Lake City, Utah - Salt Lake City, Utah
- December 28, 2023 - December 29, 2023 - Avalanche Level 1 – Salt Lake City, Utah - Salt Lake City, Utah
- January 4, 2024 - January 5, 2024 - Avalanche Level 1 – Salt Lake City, Utah - Salt Lake City, Utah
- January 11, 2024 - January 12, 2024 - Avalanche Level 1 – Salt Lake City, Utah - Salt Lake City, Utah
- January 25, 2024 - January 26, 2024 - Avalanche Level 1 – Salt Lake City, Utah - Salt Lake City, Utah
- January 27, 2024 - January 28, 2024 - Avalanche Level 1 – Salt Lake City, Utah - Salt Lake City, Utah
- February 9, 2024 - February 10, 2024 - Avalanche Level 1 – Salt Lake City, Utah - Salt Lake City, Utah
- February 22, 2024 - February 23, 2024 - Avalanche Level 1 – Salt Lake City, Utah - Salt Lake City, Utah
- March 2, 2024 - March 3, 2024 - Avalanche Level 1 – Salt Lake City, Utah - Salt Lake City, Utah
- March 16, 2024 - March 17, 2024 - Avalanche Level 1 – Salt Lake City, Utah - Salt Lake City, Utah
- December 14, 2023 - December 15, 2023 - Avalanche Level 1 – Salt Lake City, Utah - Salt Lake City, Utah