This course is designed to train both the handler and canine in the fundamental skills needed to build a solid foundation in avalanche search. Based on years of attending both the Canadian Avalanche Rescue Dog Association (CARDA), Swiss Alpine Rescue (ARS) and the Wasatch Backcountry Rescue (WBR) winter courses. Our methods are simple and easy to replicate at your ski hill we’ve geared towards ski patrol dogs and the resources available to them. Progressing from live runaways to buried articles (scented wool) and into multiple burials for advanced dog teams. Groups will be set based on both handler and dog experience levels to maximize benefits for all teams.
- Basic obedience
- Mountain K9 transportation
- K9 care and first aid
- Preparing training sites
- Building a solid search foundation
- Training progression from a pup to a finished dog
- Simulated lives utilizing wool articles- how and why
- Canine communication (why do they smell each others butts)
- Scent theory
- Understanding the canine drives
- Avalanche search strategy
Avalanche Level 1
“Scent and the Scenting Dog” – William Syrotuck
There are no reviews yet.