University of Utah Credit

The University of Utah offers contract credit for students in American Avalanche Institute Rec Level 1, Rec Level 2, Pro Level 1 and Pro Level 2 courses. Credit is offered through the Department of Health and Kinesiology. College credit cost is an additional expense beyond the course tuition and is payable directly to the University of Utah.

We encourage you to check with your University before the start of your course to ascertain that credits from the University of Utah are transferrable to your institution.


Course Numbers, Credits, and Costs are as Follows:

Steps to Sign up for Academic Credit

Frequently Asked Questions

No. There is no application process or fees beyond what is described here. You can register for these credits and then have them transferred to your school.

Most schools will accept credits from the University of Utah. However, it is up to your institution to decide which and how many credits to accept and how they fit in your degree plan. *updated 11/18/2021

Visit University of Utah Continuing Education, click on your course, and fill out the requested info and payment. Email the AAI office that you will be receiving credit. Tell the office staff your name (including any differences in your name as you registered for the course and for the credit) and the course you are taking (including course level, date and location). Then on the first day of your course, tell your instructors that you will be receiving credit.

The first day of your course is the best time to register for credit. Make sure you register for credit before your course begins. We recommend against registering earlier because if your plans change it is difficult to un-register. There is no chance of credit spaces filling and becoming unavailable- if you are enrolled in the AAI courses listed above, credit is available to you.

You will be registered for credit in the spring semester and transcripts are available mid-May. To request a transcript, visit University of Utah Transcripts and Verifications or call the Transcript office at (801) 581-8965.

Undergraduate, semester credits.

Your grade will be based on the regular assignments, activities and participation through your AAI course- no additional assignments are required to receive credit. Students who have no record of attendance or other evidence of participation in a course, including due to mismatched names in credit and course registration and/or neglecting to tell AAI and/or course instructors that they are seeking credit, will be given a grade of “EU” (unofficial withdrawal).

No. These credits are only available for AAI courses. Credits are granted through the Center for Emergency Programs, which is housed in the Department of Health and Kinesiology, at the University of Utah. Visit the Center for Emergency Programs to view the University of Utah’s EMS/wilderness rescue major and technical rescue classes.

Stay Connected

Enjoy free tips and tricks from professional mountain guides, special offers and updates, and much more.

Subscribe Newsletter