Current Position Openings
AVALANCHE PROGRAM REGISTRAR
About the opportunity
The American Avalanche Institute has been teaching avalanche courses since the winter of 1973/1974 and our curriculum is built on a foundation of snow science and practical application. AAI teaches courses to beginning recreationists, introducing basic concepts for avalanche hazard mitigation and travel techniques in avalanche terrain, as well as to industry professionals – including ski guides, ski patrollers, and avalanche forecasters.
We are looking for a smart, passionate, and detail-oriented individual to join our team in the role of Avalanche Program Registrar. This role will be in charge of supporting students and partners to ensure a smooth experience for our customers. Responsibilities include, taking and reconciling orders, payment processing, coordinating logistics, and more. With some flexibility, the Avalanche Program Registrar is a seasonal, full-time position running October 1st through March 31st at 30-40 per week. This position works from our Boulder office and reports to the General Manager.
What’s in it for you?
You’ll enjoy discovering opportunities to streamline and optimize our operations, working with a team of positive and passionate outdoor industry professionals, and making a significant impact on a business and the outdoor community. You’ll also receive:
- Hourly compensation at $22.50 per hour
- Unlimited enrollment in courses in avalanche safety, rock and ice climbing, mountaineering, backcountry skiing, guide training and avalanche training at American Avalanche Institute and Colorado Mountain School
- Access to local climbing gym
- Deep industry pro deals on skiing & climbing gear
- Ability to work flexible hours in an office
- A strong work/life balance
- Opportunity to improve your skills and grow in your career
How you’ll make impact
- As a member of our Customer Service Team, you will contribute to the success of our organization and it’s efforts to teach avalanche hazard mitigation and travel techniques in avalanche terrain
- Share in the effort to make the AAI experience seamless for our students, instructors, partners, and leadership team
- Act as the connective tissue of our customer service operation by following a systematic approach to order reconciliation, identifying/solving challenges, and ensuring a high level of client care
- Set students up for success through support and monitoring progress
- Coordinate course logistics including virtual and physical classroom spaces and instructor housing reservations.
Who are we looking for?
We value personal attributes more than a desired set of skills or educational requirements. If the following sounds like you, then we’d love to see your application.
You must be …
- Incredibly detail-oriented while not losing sight of the big picture
- Eager to learn
- Systems- and process-focused
- A fantastic communicator
- Tech savvy – we are a Google Suite and Salesforce company
- Able to independently follow instructions
- Living in a growth & continual improvement mindset
- Able to act quickly and adjust to the needs of a small, nimble company
- Passionate about the outdoors
You should have …
- 1-3 years of customer service experience (any industry)
- Experience working both on a team and independently
- Experience with WooCommerce and Salesforce preferred, but not required
About American Avalanche Institute
The American Avalanche Institute’s focus is to provide students with useful, applicable information for use in the field. AAI spends at least 60% of most courses in the field, focusing on hands-on learning, coaching, and supervised decision-making using the AAI Backcountry Checklist. AAI has built online learning materials for each course that compliments field work and allows students to arrive to the field sessions set up for success. The AAI curriculum is a progression, where each course builds on knowledge gained from the previous course.
Interested? Your Next Steps Are …
Submit your resume and cover letter in a single document, in PDF format to email@example.com.
The American Avalanche Institute is committed to attracting and retaining a diverse staff. We will honor your experiences, perspectives and unique identity. Together, our community strives to create and maintain working environments that are inclusive, equitable and welcoming. The American Avalanche Institute provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training1